Friday, September 21, 2012

Trip to a Military Mecca

Today I made my way to Bob's new office building where he hopped into the car and off we went to USAA. If you are not in the military then just know that USAA is the most fantastic company for we military folk. We bank with them because they serve us all over the world. We invest with them. We have life insurance, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, charge cards.....the list could go on. When we move, and you know we move often, then all it takes is one email or phone call to change to the new address on everything we have with USAA. If any other insurance company approaches you all you have to say is "I have USAA" and they will just walk away. No sales pitch or pressure to buy from them. Awesome!!!

Now normally USAA is some entity out in the ether somewhere. Everything is done by mail, phone or Internet. Now you can even deposit checks by taking a picture of them with your phone. We can withdraw cash from any ATM in the world and we get reimbursed for the fee up to something like $15 per month. Who needs a bank building?

Well....there IS a building and it is in San Antonio. All those 800 numbers (I think) are answered in San Antonio. Where do we live? San Antonio!! And our financial consultant (I know, it's weird but we do have a financial consultant!) called us in for a meeting to check on our 'portfolio' and to discuss all our options, particularly now that we are officially retired. And here's what we saw:


It's REAL! 

Sorry about the glare...it was that time of day but I did want to get a photo of the sign. It's on the access road by I-10 near Huebner. We parked and made our way to the glass-fronted building.

Entry to USAA

Inside is what must be a lovely fountain when it's flowing but all water features are turned off due to our extreme drought and local water restrictions. You'll just have to use your imagination!

Dry fountain 

Then I turned around and this is the view from the other side of the glass. What a nice airy and bright place to work!

View from inside

Truth be told I got in some quality knitting time while listening to the guys talk numbers. Hopefully my eyes did not appear to glaze over. Yes, yes. I'm interested but mostly in the bottom line. How much yarn can I buy this month? When I leave this world there will be one heck of a crafter's dream garage sale!! 8^)

Blessings,
gk

No comments:

Post a Comment