Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lunch in New Braunfels


Life has been flying along at warp speed lately. We now know that Bob is retiring so we made an offer on a house here in San Antonio. Closing will be sometime in mid-April if all goes well. I'm not totally sure when we'll move as we might have some changes made before we move. We'll see!

Meanwhile, I was very happy to be invited to lunch with my friend Julissa. We elected to check out New Braunfels, TX which is only about 30 minutes away. Julissa is one of those people who really hates to be in photos but it turns out she has been itching to get hold of my camera so I let her play with it!

Huisache Grill

Of course, I had to check out the meaning of such an unusual word as 'huisache'. Turns out it is a North American tropical tree in the acacia family. Mimosas are in there too but huisache has thorns. It also has yellow flowers and it is sometimes used in perfumery. Cool.

And my salmon salad was yummy! I would definitely recommend this restaurant but it's a little hard to find. It sits back behind another building and is _right_ by the railroad track. Don't go for a quiet meal!!

New Braunfels is an old town so there are historical markers all over. Here's a site with a bit of the local history: http://ci.new-braunfels.tx.us/index.aspx?nid=823 Here are some things that caught my eye.....

Railroad Museum


Louis Henne Building-1893

Tin ceiling



Brick sidewalks

Old tile entry to building















The original Comal County courthouse, built in New Braunfels in 1859, no longer exists. They now have this 'new' building that was built in 1899. There is a move to restore historic county courthouses in Texas ( http://www.thc.state.tx.us/courthouses/chthcpp.shtml ). Obviously, Comal County is on the list because the court house on the side of the town square is covered in scaffolding. Maybe I can return in a few years and see how it looks then!

Comal County Courthouse


Blessings,
gk

1 comment: