Saturday, January 14, 2012

Goodbye Christmas

Just as much as I put off decorating I have also put off the UNdecorating. I really, really want a closet that the tree just slides into at the end of the holiday like my friend, Patti. Even better, I'd like a wall of bookshelves that flip around to reveal a hidden tree. That would be so much fun. Till then, this is what we get.....

Undecorated tree
Years of ornaments

 Part of what takes me so long is that every ornament brings back a flood of memories. It takes me forever to get through it all! God bless anyone who is around when I start down Memory Lane!

Those paper ornaments....made from Christmas cards received in 1976. I can even tell you the sender of some of them.

More years of ornaments

There's a lot of stitchery....foundation pieced quilting, English paper piecing, beaded knitting, cross-stitch, embroidery, plain knitting, tatting, crochet....and then there are all the things the kids have made....and the stuff collected during our travels. This Memory Lane is pretty long.








Crochet from long ago


These ones were crocheted in 1979 when Kid #1 was only 1 year old! A few years ago I took them off (not easy undoing those knots!), washed them and put them on new red balls. Wow! I had no idea they had yellowed so much. I might have to do it again....nah, I'll be too old to see the thread by then!







Dismantled tree

I'm not totally thrilled with a fake tree but I confess it is easier than a real tree. And this one is prelit, no lights to fuss over either. That's a BIG plus! This year I 'unfluffed' each branch. You know, squished the little branches together as much as I could. It paid off. The whole thing went back into the box a whole lot easier than in the past. Yea!!




Okay, you got lucky. It was an abbreviated walk down our 36 year Memory Lane. Not bad. And speaking of Memory Lane, I got a call from my sister today. Our Uncle Ed, 92 years old, died today. He and his wife, Tina, have been married 70 years!! Talk about a long Memory Lane! Ed was a great man. He quietly did his work, didn't cause trouble for others and didn't smoke or drink and I didn't hear him cuss either. This is unusual in my dad's family. Say a little prayer for my Aunt Tina. She'll be without him for the first time in 70 years. I cannot imagine.

Hug your loved ones!
gk

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your uncle. Mmh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also sorry to hear about your uncle. His wife, Tina, must be close to 90 (if she's not already) - God Bless Her! -Barbara

    ReplyDelete